I’ve mentioned somewhere in my blog that I conceived through IUI (Intrauterine Insemination). Yeap, after trying to have a baby through the natural way for 3 years, we decided it was time to get some help.
I’ll be re-writing back some posts from my old blog about fertility treatment at LPPKN. I hope this can be a good guide for couples who want to get help but don’t know what to do.
There are many ways to help you get pregnant. For example, massage by mak bidan to correct the location of your uterus (rahim), traditional herbs and roots, homeopathy medicines, fertilitily pills, IUI and lastly IVF.
I’ve tried the traditional massage, traditional herbs and roots, fertility pills and the last one, IUI.
So, what is LPPKN?
LPPKN stands for Lembaga Penduduk dan Pembangunan Keluarga Negara (National Population and Family Development Board). It is a government-run fertility centre located at Jalan Raja Laut, Kuala Lumpur.
This is the place where childless couple can get help at a far cheaper cost than private hospitals.
Here are the procedures of getting fertility treatment at LPPKN.
- Call LPPKN at 603-2693 7555 and set an appointment for your first visit. I called LPPKN sometimes in December 2006 and got an appointment on 22nd February 2007! Such a long wait means a LOT of couples are having the same problem as us!!
- I heard some couple have to wait for 6-7 months for an appointment. So, be patience because obviously you’re not alone.
- During the first appointment, you’ll ask to register yourself. Then, your husband will be asked to produce some sperms for the Sperm Analysis. Cost is only RM25 for registration and RM10 for Sperm Analysis (SA). This process will take about half-a-day.
- You’ll get the SA result within one hour. If the SA turns good (the sperms are healthy, no abnormality and good count), you’ll be set for another appointment for blood test. If SA is not OK, your husband will be ask to come again at a set date (three weeks later) for a repeat Sperm Analysis.
- If SA is ok, you’ll be ask to call for an appointment as soon as you have your period. You’ll need to go to LPPKN again for a blood test, any day from 1st day period to 5th day. This process will take only one hour and cost RM60.
- The nurse will give you an x-ray form and ask you to call Tawakal Hospital for an HSG appointment. I’ll talk about HSG later. The HSG need to be done on your 9th-10th day of period. The HSG cost RM180.
- Then, you’ll set another appointment with LPPKN for another blood test. This process will take only one hour and cost RM30. All the blood tests are done to monitor your hormone level in a month cycle.
- You will be asked to wait for your next period. The first day of your period, you must call LPPKN to set an appoinment with a doctor. Normally you’ll need to see the doctor on the 4th day of your period. You can request for a lady doctor if you wish. For appointment, please call them after 2.30pm.
- The doctor will explain what is your problem and ways to correct. If your tube is not block, the doctor will prescribed fertility drugs to you. You can choose whether to try for yourself first or direct do the IUI. Cost for doctor consultancy & drugs is only RM46.50.
- If you choose to do IUI, you will set another appoinment with your doctor on the 11th day of your period. This is to scan/ultra sound for checking the availability of your eggs! If there are more than 4 eggs available, the doctor will proceed with IUI on the 13th day of your period.
If you choose to do-it-yourself, the doctor will explain when is the best date & time to have sex.
Note: I tried two IUIs and suceeded in the second attempt.